Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Sunday, June 26, 2016

6.25b

It's a hot day, and I've sweated in my clothes already. My beard is scruffy and my pants legs stained at the knees from kneeling in the grass. Yet, I feel very little shame in looking at her, though perhaps I should respect the distance between us, socially. Her dark hair goes all to ringlets at the ends, and her dress is light and airy, an almost-long affair that scoops up to showcase her knees. Her face has a sharpened quality that contrasts with the lines of her bare arms. I reassess the catastrophe sitting on the grass before her. I've got no reason to chase her and no chance to catch. I'm married. She's married. But she's magnetic. I have to know if she's worth wasting my mind on. I look at her with the same scrutiny as I would a sunset or a herd of deer standing in a mist-filtered valley, their attention not on me yet, but somehow getting closer and closer until I can see the muscles beneath their fine coats ripple as their heads snap up, they realize what I've been doing, and they bolt.
She's only now walking my way. I can see all of her for the first time, no tables or trees interrupting, nobody talking to her, and she has a matter-of-fact gait, a firm assurance of where each foot has got to go. I don't like it. Somewhere, deep within, there is a stir. I make a connection I don't want, between her and myself. She's a piece more human in this second, and I shudder to feel it.
As she gets closer, I can see her more clearly. She has the face of a girl who was pretty when she was young. Her father could look at her and predict it maybe when she was only five, only six—a terrible gift, to worry for a decade what will happen to your child when she finally realises the same. She has the face of a woman who's put her realizing long behind her, who's had suitors since boys wore suits and not just some button-up their mom picked out: the face of a woman who knows she's beautiful. It's not just me, this time. She knows it, too. Sometimes, you find someone so peculiar to your taste that only a very few people have gotten to tell them first what kind of delicacy they truly are, but this girl is ice cream, is chocolate. She's a lucrative industry that generates thousands of admirers from moment to moment, and her advertising campaign is the same dependable perfection that built the empire in the first place. It's the shape of her cheeks, maybe, just full enough to remind you she's young, but not commanding attention. Maybe it's the slight lift to her nose, or the way in which it has the most definition of all her face, as if it knew its job was to build upon the softness of her without distracting. Maybe it's the pigment on her. I hope not, but my hope has the misplaced yearning of a badly-informed art critic, a man who looks directly at the painting and wants there to have been one draft, one grand effort with a single vision made reality by a single hand, not realizing that the painter has drafted this same image a thousand times, leaning into the mirror and making a face to stretch out the canvas, her paintbrush a dependable tool on an every day notice with an everyday demand: perfection. Her eyes are dark from her ministrations with the brush, but she's gotten the wrong fish with this bait. I barely look at them. I'm more interested in the weave of the canvas, of the shape of its frame, of the light in the room, of the building it's in. Skin, bones, tone, body. I have to ask, though: am I only looking at the museum because I know the artist has been laboring? Does the prestige of her eyes make the vessel that carries them important, or would I want the same tour of the grounds if the building was a home, only, and not a public institution? She's the only one with power to run the experiment, and she's not willing to go without her mask, so perhaps we'll never know. Either way the truth lies, I look off as she walks by. I hope nobody has noticed I've been staring.
For a time, I wait to hear her. I want a sensory memory that spans the available possibilities. I have a hunger that sight won't satisfy. But the longer I wait, the more I know, even without getting the song of her voice. I'm frustrated. Her laugh isn't a cascade of cold water over smooth, round rocks. Her voice isn't the mountainside morning before the sun hits the tops of the trees. Her voice may be intoxicating to others, but either I'm inured to the poison, or just not drinking it. I want to check. I need to know. I shift and actually address her: a statement that turns up at the end to invite her to finish the thought as though it has been a question all along. Something a person says when they're not afraid of alerting the subject that they're being scrutinized, worshipped. She responds, and I don't hate her voice, but she's missed the actual question I've asked. I'm slowed for a moment.
What?
But the lethargy lapses and I'm already drawing conclusions. Why, if she's pretty, doesn't she also have a powerful mind? Why, if I've spoken to her once, do I feel the sinking in my gut that reminds me of disappointment? Why have I judged her when I don't know her?
It's that initial taste of the gait she uses: solid, everyday, dependable. It's the realization, fair or not, that I love the makeup on her eyes. It's the three sentences she dribbled out to me. She's only pretty, nothing more. (How can I say that!? She's gorgeous in a way I know I'll remember later. Am I minimizing its effect on me? No.)
I no longer stare. I literally don't see her again, even though she's ten feet away over my right shoulder. I now know if she's worth wasting my mind on. I rock back in the grass and start forgetting her, start focusing on what I will take from this day—friendships, exhaustion, scrapes on my hands from climbing a tree, but not her. Her husband is back there with her, a man who looks lucky when you first see him, but might be cursed, when you think about it, because I have a choice of whether or not she comes with me in my mind. But she's going home in his car, and he has to live with stolid, plodding, physical perfection, a trait other men will talk about, from which he gains no benefit now, only headache and worry, and from which there is no reprieve. She certainly can't give it to him. And when the paint can't draw him to the museum anymore, when the building crumbles at its foundations, what is left inside? The artwork of a master and a doddering docent who's dumbfounded at his piercing questions. But maybe she's as cursed as he, and her decline will reveal nothing: he will always be the admirer and never the critic, and her carefully manicured grounds, the stately columns, the marble façade, the curling stairways and graceful arches will all decay, and he won't question "wasn't there more," because he's too enthralled by the artifice and forgets to question the art.
I crumple the blueprint I've been drafting of her and discard it. She's not my wife. My wife is in Oregon. My wife is a refurbished flyswatter factory, all exposed ducts and brickwork, overlaid with murals and neon. She's a nightclub that reminds you of industrial decline until you see inside and the weight of the wrought iron trembling bass drum clubs your chest and you're left suffering to the beat of loud music, unable to escape or unwilling to, drawn to press yourself against the crowd until you find your hands outstretched against the very stage itself, your voice hoarse from screaming you forgot, the outside of the building forgot, the neighborhood forgot, the borough forgot, all is this moment, all is one, until the music flares and the crowds escape, and you're left standing in the ankle-deep refuse, weeping, willing the band to return, begging the crowd to assemble, beating at your chest because you know the moment has passed and you're left with a factory again, a bare concrete floor and a slowly crumbling smoke stack. My wife is not anything like this woman, and I envy her husband the slow decline of his art museum. I wish my explosion could have outlasted the night.

[The first line of the final paragraph used to read "I crumple the mental portrait I've been drawing of her," which isn't fitting.]

16 comments:

  1. I hate everything about this except the line, "stolid, plodding, physical perfection."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hate everything? I didn't like being there, in it, but I thought it would be at least interesting to read. Thanks for finding a line, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It puts me in mind of *The Flight of the Conchords* line, "She's so hot she's making me sexist."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an interesting read--I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of women being buildings (unless men are also buildings, and it's just an extended conceit and really intriguing). It has the feeling of self-reflective contemplation, but it's not self-reflective at all, it's all focused outward.

    And a small part of me wonders what type of building I am to others, and what type of building I am to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to be a cabin in the woods with a deep cellar.

      You are probably a sanitarium cum history museum, or something similar.

      Delete
  5. Hm. I hadn't considered it being sexist until I judged her mind. Lots of people look at physicality as being a reduction, a lessening. Maybe it is, but when you put a premium on it, and you value it more than intellect, is it still a lessening?

    In any case, I judged her in comparison to myself, not to women or men in general. That's either flatly sexist or somewhere in a grey area where it doesn't feel good but maybe it's not wrong. I wouldn't know. I'm just reporting how I felt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why judge her at all, though? Isn't that sort of an arrogant, entitled thing to do? I mean, do you think she was trying to catch your eye so that she could be assessed by you, or something?

    I mean, I get that this piece is probably expanding on a knee-jerk reaction, but reflexes can be trained, and frankly, in this case I think they should be. This piece describes patterns of thinking that I think make women more likely to be harassed in public spaces, and if good men like you can start picking up on that sort of thing, maybe they could start calling out other guys who don't confine their thoughts to blogs.

    I mean, does the fact that a woman exists and caught your attention necessitate anything beyond a mental, "Hey, she's pretty"? After all, there's little, if any, chance of a correct judgment of her character in such a brief encounter. What value is there in trying to analyze a person you know nothing about-- to cheapen her in your mind? Why do you have to know whether she's worth "wasting [your] mind on"?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are lines I particularly dislike; they all make assumptions about ownership that make me uncomfortable:

      "Her father could look at her and predict it maybe when she was only five, only six—a terrible gift, to worry for a decade what will happen to your child when she finally realises the same."

      "She's a lucrative industry that generates thousands of admirers from moment to moment, and her advertising campaign is the same dependable perfection that built the empire in the first place."

      "Her husband is back there with her, a man who looks lucky when you first see him, but might be cursed, when you think about it, because I have a choice of whether or not she comes with me in my mind."

      Delete
    2. From my perspective as unreliable narrator and self-professed villain, the first is storge love, the kind that my mom feels for me when she worries about my bike riding. The second is commodification of the self, a metaphor which doesn't trouble me overly because agency is in the hands of both retailer and consumer. The third is weird and makes me feel uncomfortable because of my reaction to her, not because I called her husband lucky. It's lucky to have a spouse you're attracted to, who's attracted to you. If you think otherwise, I think you're fooling yourself or looking for things to feel badly about. Sex is healthy for a marriage, but it's not always easy. Sometimes it's just easier to find an excuse, and having that one impediment removed makes a big difference. So he's lucky for that, at least.

      Delete
    3. I have no ability to control or manage the thoughts of others, though. The trend of asking men to police other men is akin to asking women to feel responsibility for their mother's gossiping. You can only control you. I can't feel responsibility or shame for thoughts that lead to crime in other people, because it would k i l l me.
      If you're asking only for me to put social pressure on others, even so you're singling me out to feel responsibility for other people's wrongdoing merely because I share with them some labels that I can't control. This is how we treat Muslims when we tell them to stop radical Islamic terrorists. This is how we treat gays when we assume they're all pedophiles.
      Through this declination, remember I do already call out obvious d-baggery and sexism despite not being remotely responsible for it.

      Delete
  7. What makes you think she's trying to be a commodity, though? What did she do that told you she was hoping to be assessed by you or anyone else?

    The majority of fathers I know say their daughters need protection because the fathers assume young men are thinking the same way they did as young men. A young woman's sexuality/appeal is, as far as I can tell, generally policed in a far different way from a young man's. I don't know mothers who say similar things about sons.

    Yeah, okay, I think I know that attraction is as lucky as anything else is. The thing that bothers me has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with the weird competition implied between men who are married and other men looking at those men's wives.

    Robby, you are a person of influence. You can't control other people's thoughts. Obviously. But some people listen to you. And yeah, I know you call out jerks. So ... this is another thing that is jerk-like to keep in your file. Do with it what you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, look, the friend-zone thing didn't really hit home for me until I was "friend-zoned," and it was really painful and awkward and just horrible for me and probably for everyone else who had to witness it. Even so, I spent a lot of time thinking it was unavoidable, that I couldn't help how I felt.

      I was totally wrong; in the years since then, I've learned more how to control that sort of thing in the way I think about my friendships with people, and I think that's been a very good thing for me.

      I make more of an effort to treat people respectfully now, to build decent boundaries. And yeah, okay, when I notice other people walking down that same stupid road, I say something.

      Wouldn't you consider doing so to be part of the social contract everyone signs just by being alive?

      Delete
    2. It's true I don't know she wanted/needed/desired to be thought of this way, and it's true that I would prefer not to want/need/desire in this way, for whatever it's worth. I also wouldn't want her to know my thoughts, for more reasons than just that she might be creeped out/offended that I was willing to categorize/judge her so quickly. I wouldn't want her knowing my thoughts because those are mine to share, not hers to have. So yes: if she knew everything you all know, she might be able to be offended. But perhaps I deserve (???) someone being offended on her behalf, because I didn't give her the chance (???).

      Why, in these discussions, do I always give more ground? You may just accede and say nothing.

      Delete
  8. Well, if it helps, I'm not trying to punish you.

    If I respected you less, I wouldn't bother telling you when something you wrote annoyed me or trying to explain why.

    So ... I guess that's a goal to work toward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought of that. If I respected you less, I would leave your comments unanswered, which, honestly, might be less annoying for you. :P

      Delete
    2. Nah, I appreciate the synthesis.

      Delete