Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Thursday, March 15, 2012

3.15b

Scarmarella dances with me in the moonlight of new days and old. Turn, we, in the night of a snapping black hoarfrost. Spin, I yell; spin, Scarmarella, and she throws herself, fast as wit and faster still, until my eyes are full of her cool black lines, pure in the moonlight. Her hair wraps around her head, but on the reversal I see the glint of her smile in the cool of a quiet. Moment. Scarmarella mine, but soon another's, for we are both children of the day. Born under a sweaty sky, was I. Born on a tossing sea, was she. We match, like a set of saucers too long used, and taken out of our cupboard, we steal the night for our own. No light for Scarmarella, mine. No light for her to lift and twist. No light for me, or she, or I. No light, no light. No.

But.

The spin stops. Her hair falls around her shoulders, and she sweeps it from her eyes. Her umber skin sinks deep in the night. My aching breast beats twice and twice and twice and twice left right left right left right left right. I swear she hears it in my voice; I say "My Scar--," She says
But nothing. She has no words. She pulls me over, holds me tight, and whispers quiet to me there: "I'm leaving soon. I'll see you, swear. On bones and birth and sand and surf, on quiet, loud, and home, and hearth." Her voice breaks fair. The new day ends, the old begins. She walks away before my before my before my heart explodes.

Done stealing night, we day again, but for a time, until the night looms and the moon draws nigh, when Scar my Scar my Scarmarella will meet in darkness here with
I.

12 comments:

  1. It had poem in it, but I didn't write it to be. It's just very modern prose, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever loved Byron's "Yet we'll no more go a'roving?" Perhaps now is a good time to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahaha as I was reading, I very much wanted to say, "this has poetry." You've beaten me to it. Anyway, I love the rhythm, and poetry like this is awesome.

    It's sad, though. But a sweet kind of sad, I guess? I don't know.

    There are specific lines of this that I especially like, like the first one or the "done stealing night, we day again." Also, this feels quite Norse. Like . . . Odin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like "The new day ends, the old begins."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes! That is also lovely. It sends shivers of Narnia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess what? This IS poetry. Worse still, this is GOOD poetry. You have betrayed yourself! No, seriously, this is fantastic and I don't say that lightly when it comes to poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, the fact that it has poetry--and good poetry--is what I was going to say, but EVERYONE BEAT ME TO IT!

    Well, it has good poetry; the fact that it's unintentional is even better. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm... Can I get your autograph?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure.
    It didn't get into the Legacy, however, because it's not . . . ordinary.
    And Curtis didn't like it at all, so he voted it down. Anyway, I'm alright with that.

    Scarmarella is mine. :P

    ReplyDelete