Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Thursday, May 5, 2011

5.5

He looked down from the ledge where she was sitting and he saw the city far below.
"What makes you choose to sit here?" he asked. There was no reply. "Are you content?" She didn't even look at him. "Don't you wish you had a more comfortable seat, or a better view of the city? You are halfway up a building. You could go up or down and be happier." She hadn't acknowledged his presence. "I know a nice place you could go . . ." At this, she stood and walked past him into the house. He followed.

"This really isn't the prime place to be sitting. There are a million reasons why you should never sit here again."

She turned and started a bit when she saw him. She waved her hands at him and raised one eyebrow.
"Oh," was all he could manage at first. "I'm sorry, I don't . . . I guess that's fine then," he said, as if her deafness was enough to explain why she chose the wrong ledge.

7 comments:

  1. I like this, but I don't think I like it for the reasons you'd expect. Also, I just wanted you to know that I'm proud of you and I'm glad for you, and that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what are the reasons you like it?

    And there is no reason to be proud of me, I think. I may see what you're trying to say, and if so, Kayla has LITERALLY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS POST LEAVE IT BE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok good. Because of the whole roommate everybody assumed I would be worked up, now I'm looking for people to be assuming I'll be worked up tra la la dosey doh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure in your mind those are sentences, and the words follow each other naturally, but . . .

    Whatever; I get the point. Can I just say that . . . sometimes, I think the lady doth protest too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a lady, nor Gretchen, nor a queen, nor an incestuous beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I say that? I don't think I said that.

    ReplyDelete