Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Friday, September 30, 2011

9.30

I didn't stop him. Let me put that right there for you to see. But
I'm not quite sure how to begin the story of an end. Of course up until now it has been love and happiness and joy and light, but the story of an end is like describing the inside of a cave when your last light goes out, or an overcast night in the woods, or the inside of a closet when your father is drunk. I might try to use traditional phrases like I couldn't see my hand in front of my face, but see the problem is that when the blackness is so dark you're swimming through it and your eyes invent lights for you to see and you've been blind for so long that it feels like you'll be blind when you see light too, well that's what it's like describing the story of an end. I can't really bring myself to do it.
So I'll do it anyway.

After the hallway, things weren't quite right for us. We tried to talk about what happened because that's what you do, you know, make stumbling apologies and try to explain what you felt and somehow nothing helped. She never told me why she didn't push him away. I asked if she still had feelings for him, but she said "no, he's I've hated him but no that's not right I never want to hate" and all of her shuddered as her emotion passed out of her like the last breath of a dying man who says to his friend that he should go to his house do you remember where it is of course you do you used to come over during the summer and go to his house and tell his mother about this and how beautiful it was and how he didn't regret anything and then he says that he doesn't regret and he rattles and shakes and can't talk anymore and his friend just holds him as his life drains away and his breath passes out of him like the last emotion of a dying girl, sitting in one corner of a cafeteria looking at a wall and trying to explain to me what she felt. And so I just looked at my hands (gosh I was angry) and I said how sad I was (gosh I was angry) and how much I wished I could have done (and I was angry then, too) and how I wanted to help (she doesn't want to know how angry I was) and I couldn't because I just couldn't, can't you see? It didn't seem like my place, and I didn't look up for a very long time.

We went through a tough period when we knew we wanted it to work, and we tried to make it work. You know how some boys try to take the legs off of spiders and the spiders don't get it and they don't give up, they just keep walking? Well that was us I guess, just a spider with one leg walking and finally the history teacher found a seating chart that worked (we were four seats away, I mean I could still see her but it wasn't the same) (I could see her ear poke out from under her hair as she listened to the lecture and read her book and I cried almost every day in history class so much that the teacher actually asked me what was wrong once and the whole class turned and looked at me and I just sniffed really loudly and said that everything was and why didn't he just mind his own business and ran out I ran out of that room and just kept running until there wasn't any more hallway and I sat down and cried for an hour. She found me then, because she left choir to find me and found me at the end of a hallway and we sat there against the wall and cried together and tried to hold hands but it didn't work (maybe you've not done that, you know, the trying to hold hands and failing because you have to let go every four seconds to wipe your eyes). She asked what I was crying about and I said you dummy and she laughed but not enough and there were no bells in it anyway.

That weekend Sam showed up at her house.

She's never told me what happened then but her mother likes Sam and didn't know about Sam and let Sam into the house and let Sam into her room and that's about all I know now. That's more than I knew then. I blame her mother. She blames herself. It's stupid that neither of us blame Sam. Sam probably blames Sam but that's more humanity than I'm willing to give him.
I kept trying to be the man I was, and she stopped even pretending that she was the woman I knew. It just felt like everything deflated, like all the air in a balloon that you find two weeks after the party, and it's wrinkled and sad and all the good air is gone, replaced with bad air, and the whole thing smells like sadness that's sat in the sun too long. I told her things, and she nodded. I asked her things and she smiled. I took her hand and she found reasons to need it back. I'm not stupid. I knew how things were.

One day in the middle of winter we cut history class and went out to walk in the snow. It wasn't falling any more, but there was enough of it to cover most of the grass and part of the buildings and things looked white and still. The wind cut straight through me and out the other side. I tried not to shiver. She said things were different since and I said things were strange. She said she loved me and I said I love you and she said she loved me and I kind of figured out that we weren't talking about the same thing at all. Her cheeks were bright pink and her lips looked soft and warm and I could tell by the way she walked that she still was there under her coat and I knew I was about to lose that. And she said she wanted me to be happy and she knew I would be happy and I was the best guy she'd ever known and I knew I was about to lose that. And I told her that she should go on and be a pediatrician and help people and save children and run her foster home and do all the things she wanted and loved and I knew I was about to lose that. The snow screamed under our feet because it was so dry and so cold, every step made me scream inside because I still had time but couldn't do anything and we couldn't stop walking because it was going to be the last time we were an us. I said she was the best girl I had ever known and she said I was the best guy she'd ever known and she was lucky to have known me, Tom and she said Tom and I knew it was over I mean I stopped there even though I should have kept walking and I didn't move my feet any more and I cried like something broke inside and I cried so hard my face hurt and she cried with me but we were crying about totally different things.


The only time I regret that I cried was about twelve years ago, you know, during that age of innocence when your hormones kick in and anything that happens is a disaster so great and so tragic you know someone will have to write a book about it. You know what I'm talking about.

I'm sure you were fourteen at some point. Everybody was, but only some of us were ever in love.

28 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, guys. I'm so so sorry.
    Anything would have been better than this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not anything, but I'm sorry you had to write this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...aaaaaaaaaaand now I hate her just as much as I do Thomas. They are both pathetic excuses for humans. I don't care WHAT she said, fact: she still had feelings for Sam. that's a fact. There is literally NO other reason not to have pushed him away. Fear is not a reason. Which means she lied to him about that, which means as far as I'm concerned she no longer is worth his time. end of story.

    They never had a chance in hell at being happy together.

    Robby, I'm not going to lie, the fact that this evokes such an emotional response from me is proof that it is good writing, but it definately fills me with rage. And hatred. Pure, unstifled hatred. I am literally fuming right now. fictional or not doesn't matter. As far as emotions go, I do not distinguise between real and imaginary. This really pisses me off. I'm holding back a massive flood of swear words right now.

    I hate men like him more than I hate thieves.
    I hate girls like her more than I hate murderers. I despise them utterly, and I wish them dead.

    Oh, and lets not forget Sam. Sam is bad, I hate him, but I hate her just as much if not more, because she had MULTIPLE chances to stop anything from happening, and CHOSE not to.

    oh, and fyi, the way things ended is proof that they never WERE in love to begin with. If he loved her, he WOULD have stopped Sam, or at least tried, no ifs ands or buts. the fact that he didn't is proof he didn't love her.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go punch something.../rant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would try to defend them to you, but they suck, so I won't. You're right. They're pretty crappy.

    I don't feel as strongly as you do, but I certainly don't like it. I agree; if I saw sam doing that to anybody I knew didn't like it I would try to stop him (maybe violence wouldn't be my reaction first because I used to have such a huge problem with it that now I'm afraid of it). I agree; she ran from Thomas for a bad reason, and she probably shouldn't have because Thomas was the best chance she had at feeling comfortable around guys again.

    But I disagree about them being in love. I think they were. So why didn't they live through it together? Fear, inadequacy, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, immaturity. They didn't know how to deal with hard situations, and they didn't have to because they weren't bound by marriage anyway, so they took the easiest path and ran.
    It's not respectable or good, but it's what I've seen To be true about people in my relationships. When things get tough: run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the feeling that this is probably everybody's least favorite section of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok then robby, let me ask you this. If she loved Thomas, WHY would she NOT want Sam to stop. If she didn't say anything to Sam, didn't even ask him to stop, it's because it didn't bother her as much as it should have. ergo, she still had feelings for Sam. and you NEVER start a relationship with someone if you aren't over your ex. That's always a bad plan.

    and you don't HAVE to know how to deal with hard situations, but neither one of them even TRIED to stop Sam. If you don't have the guts to defend the girl you 'love', then you don't love her. end of story.

    Thomas was a coward who valued his own safety over that of hers. That is not love. Strong feelings =/= love. Fond memories =/= love. There are not different 'levels' of being in love. Either you are, or you aren't. Yeah, once you GET there, you can learn to love someone more, but you can't be there and be thinking, "well, I only love you a little bit." I refuse to believe that either one of them loved the other one. Their actions betray that.

    and fyi, maturity is a requirement of love. You cannot say that immaturity is why love didn't work. It defeats itself. Love is putting their safety before your own in all situations, no questions asked. Anything less is not love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "You NEVER start a relationship with someone if you aren't over your ex."

    You shouldn't, but you do.

    "Strong feelings =/= love. Fond memories =/= love. "

    Yes. This. So much this.

    "Love is putting their safety before your own in all situations, no questions asked. Anything less is not love."

    Even more this.

    That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think so. Immaturity cannot be a requisite for love, because I loved my parents when I was immature. The validity of the love is all the same. What changes with maturity is how likely it is to last, and how likely it is that the person IN love will be able to recognize it. That's because maturity is a gradient. You can't just say "I'm mature now DING finished."

    I did write that Thomas COULD have been afraid for his own safety, but I balk at saying it myself. I think he was waiting for a sign from her (he had never been intensely physical with her and now Sam was and he didn't know what sam and her dynamic was) and I think she was waiting for him to save her (and not taking action herself, because she was dependent on other people). Now, I don't think they did the right thing, but I don't find them as reprehensible as you seem to have.

    I'm not saying they're role models, but I don't think they are complete stinkers. I think there's something to be said for the fact that one moment can kill anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I have no idea why we aren't all blaming Sam for this. Seriously, guy's a stinker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure I loved my parents when I was immature. I just realized that.

    I don't find them reprehensible, but I don't quite believe that they were in love.

    Oh, don't worry; Sam's getting his fair share of blame in my head. I thought that was a given. But-- he probably has a story of his own. Doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure he does. It includes some bad decisions and poor self-control, but he has his own story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Robby. Loving someone, and being IN love with someone, aren't even remotely the same thing. You have never been in love with your parents (I hope) and definately not when you were immature (still pending :P jk).

    Being IN love, DOES require maturity, because even though there isn't really a way to 'measure' love, there ARE requirements to a degree. For instance, you can't really say "if you do X thing, it means you are in love", but you CAN say, "if you didn't do X thing, you obviously aren't."

    as for the sign thing, he shouldn't have NEEDED a sign. He should have stepped in whether she wanted him to or not. Her safety and well being should have been more important than what she 'wanted'.

    and at age 14, he should have had the mental facilities to look at her face and decipher whether or not she was comfortable with it. It's not hard to tell.

    lastly, even with your scenario robby, the fact that she was dependent on other people in that situation is despicable in and of itself.

    and as for your comment about maturity affecting how long love 'lasts', let me say this....

    You cannot 'fall out of' love. it's impossible. You can slowly love someone less, in the instance of having already broken up with someone, you can get over them yes, but you cannot be in love with them one day and then a week later not be. It's a biological impossibility.

    the fact that their relationship deteriorated so quickly afterwards is evidence of a lack of love. If a relationship doesn't last through hard times, then love was never there. As I said before, strong feelings are not love.

    I get sick and tired of people using the word 'love' far too often and innacurately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think that's fair, Kyle. I can see the sense in what you're saying, but you're treating it all as binary, delineated, separable, as if you can tell when you're in love for sure or not at any point ever. I don't think you can, at any point in your life, say "OH YES I'M IN LOVE WITHOUT ANY COMPLICATIONS" unless you're tremendously lucky.
    I don't believe it's ever that simple, though I wish I could say it was.
    If you DON'T do X thing (like protect someone from an attacker), it does not necessarily mean you're not in love.
    FOR EXAMPLE:
    I used to be an incredibly violent person. My first recourse in a tight spot was always violence. I lashed out at kids in my kindergarden class, my siblings, my siblings' friends, people I barely knew, people who were closest to me . . . I was very violent.
    So you have to take Tom's actions through the lens of my experience. I have only become what I am today by killing (outright killing dead huurk blaaagh) my impulse for violence. My first recourse in a difficult situation is not violence. When a girl told me she had been hurt by a guy, I said I wanted to put him in a box and leave him somewhere alone. Apparently, I was the only person to not want to lash out and hurt him for what he had done. Violence? Not my option.

    So, what might I do in Tom's shoes? I wouldn't beat the guy down. I would definitely peel him off her, but . . . I wouldn't have the fortitude to hurt him. I think perhaps that is just somewhere you've got strength where I have not. Because you are infrequently aggressive, you have absolute surety that your indignation is righteous. I don't have that surety. I'm too afraid I would lash out again without the right to.

    So don't judge Tom so quickly. I feel like he could have a very valid reason. Maybe his dad was killed in front of him. Maybe he was bullied as a kid. Maybe he is the same as me and he's just finally killed his impulse to violence when he finally has an excuse to use it. MAYBE. I'm just saying, I don't agree with you that you must ALWAYS take Sam down with violence.

    And yes. She should have fought for herself. But . . . I haven't written Sam's story yet. It's never black and white. He's not a skunk and a scoundrel. He's just wrong.

    I agree with you that you can't fall out of love. You can blow it up (if your spouse cheats on you) or snuff it out (distance and lack of communication) or you can starve it (if it's one-direction love).

    And sure. People use "love" too often. But there are four different types of love in Greek, and we use love for all of them. I have erotic love for some people for whom I don't have friendship love. I'm just saying, you can eros a person without caring a damn thing about them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think when you're really in love, you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Robby, I think you may have misunderstood a point of mine. I wasn't saying that Tom should have beat the crap out of sam, but he definately should have stood between Sam and her. I wasn't even really trying to say that I would without a doubt beat the crap out of him, but if, after I was between him and her, he still tried to get past me, then yes, I would make him bleed.

    My point was simply that he should have done SOMETHING to defend her. Defending her and attacking sam aren't exactly the same, but judging from what we've seen of sam, fighting him would be inevitable, as he would not back down.

    (also robby, I was referring to romantic love when I said people used love to often. most of the time people say 'I love you', it isn't true.)

    and like I said robby, I don't think there is a way to say that you ARE in love for sure, but there are ways to know that you AREN'T.

    It is true that I don't know Tom's background, but even if he did suffer from one or more of the things you described, love is more powerful than fear. If he loved her, it wouldn't matter how scared he was. He would have protected her. I'm sorry, but I cannot believe that he ever loved her. I do believe that he has never cared about someone like he did for her, but I don't believe it was love.

    (as for sam's story, it's irrelavent. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING could ever justify his actions.)

    and I know part of my ranting is simply the way I am. I cannot stand by and WATCH someone get hurt. Especially a woman. And Especially not like that....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a feeling everyone will hate me for saying this, but I really think you can know when you're in love.

    My mom says she knew when my dad leaned across the table on one of their dates, took her hands, looked deeply into her eyes, and said, "Who am I? Why am I here? What is the meaning of life?"

    She knew he was trying to impress her, and it was just so HIM an attempt and so right (even for being all wrong) that she adored it.

    I used to get mad a people who said, "Yeah, you just . . . know." But now I get it. And honestly, I think the moment you know you're in love is the moment when you forget to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol so basically what you are saying is, you know you are in love when you stop questioning whether or not you are in love. Or, to put another way, you know you are in love when you know you are in love lol. Quite astute there :P /sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew it. You're right, though.

    You know you're in love when it is a way of life, a habit.

    How's that?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here's the thing: love is never the same for any two people. Right? So we're all right.

    I just feel like relationships are more accurately represented by a gradient. You don't know when, exactly, the shade started being "dark" as opposed to "light," but you noticed it and that's that.

    And @Kyle: makes more sense now, thanks. I do believe Tom should have acted (to not act is anathema to me: I tried it and it hurts really badly). I don't believe there is anything in this world that can excuse Sam. I don't think she was right in what she did.
    But I don't want to just condemn them blindly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Robby, I understand that you want to 'see all view points' before you make a decision about them, and I get that. I'm not condemning them in the sense that I think they'd all be in hell or anything, they aren't pure evil.

    But If I knew about said event, and it was in the recent past, I would not be friends with them. any of them. Odds are, I'd already BE friends with them when I found out about this, and then I'd pretty much lay into them like I did on here, telling them why they were cowardly in their actions. And then I'd inform them that they were no longer worthy of my respect.

    In general I will respect anyone who respects me, but there are definately ways to get crossed off my list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Robby, I love that you picked dark rather than light to depict romantic relationships. However . . . if we're talking about being "in love," shouldn't there be definite, concrete boundaries? I don't see how a person could function without them.

    Kyle, I think it's way easier to condemn people when you're on the outside looking in. I think that you're right in saying they never really loved each other, but they thought they did. They got mixed up. They were kids. I'm not excusing their behavior, but they're fictional characters, and it's already been written, and to be honest, I don't see how they could have done anything else because Robby's version fits their character.

    In general, I don't think writing off people for mistakes they've made is a good idea, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  22. In General I would agree with you. But in cases like this, I am not very forgiving. Sam sexually assaulted her AT LEAST twice, likely a few more times that aren't in the story, and especially when he was at her house, it is heavily implied that they had sex. That is inexcusable. And she probably didn't try to stop him then either, which is also inexcusable.

    If I am to ever respect them again (assuming the friendship scenario I listed before) they need to EARN my respect back. I can 'forgive' them, sort of, in the sense that it's not like I'd never talk to them again, but respecting them is out of the question.

    There is nothing worse under the sun than sexual assault. It is the worst of all sins in my book. Worse than murder. Worse than stealing. Worse than idol worship.

    And since all three of them were at fault for it happening, they have all forfeited my respect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like that Kyle can maintain his polarization in the face of incredible ambivalence.

    I want that. Kyle, can I borrow your resolve?

    P.S. this post made it on the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  24. SURPRISE:
    Lyssa's comment was in the spam folder. I thought for a long time that she just didn't read this. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I about jumped out of my skin this time, reading "Tom" for the first time. That hurts so bad. How does it hurt so bad?

    ReplyDelete