Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Friday, June 10, 2011

6.10

[Last year on this date I posted twice. I'm not doing it again.]

It was just an inch long blade, but it could cut through apples and trim fingernails and slice cheese and turn flathead screws. It was just an inch long blade, but it was still useful. It could pare potatoes and scrape wood and cut shoelaces. It was just an inch long blade.

That's why it surprised him that she was able to so easily kill him with it. Two thrusts and a heavy pull and he was left warm and sticky on the floor. He looked up as if to ask why and his only answer was her back as she walked away.

The blade clattered to the floor and it snapped cleanly in two when it hit.
It was only a half inch blade but it killed a man.

8 comments:

  1. There are things I want to say to this. But I can't. So I will just leave it with the half-inch blade didn't kill a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, people kill people. But how does the blade feel about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I mean it was still an inch long.

    Well, according to my experience, it felt cold and just a little bit damp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janelle, how could it split in half and still be an inch long?
    That's silliness. Knives don't split along the longitudinal axis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was still an inch long when it killed a man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, but currently it is a half inch blade and it has killed a man in its past. So "you too are right" thanks Tevvvvvvvye (however he spells that).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pardon me, Reb Tevye.

    Why am I doing this?

    For some reason, I keep hearing this debate in my head about a wooden ship whose boards were replaced as needed until not one original board was left, but then some museum reconstructed the ship from the original boards, and no one could figure out which ship was officially THE SHIP anymore.

    ReplyDelete