Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Thursday, December 18, 2014

My Acolyte Journey: 2014.29

A Sky Full of Stars.
Coldplay. So this is a simple song. I'm not saying that simplicity denies depth by any means (M.C. Escher's Sky and Water). I'm saying that it's much harder to deliver immense depth through a single image, even though perhaps the surrounding story is incredible (Craig Thompson's Blankets). I'm saying that when the lyrics don't tell the whole story, there needs to be depth in the music.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have nothing to say about these lyrics. They could represent a very healthy or very unhealthy relationship (I'm leaning towards not healthy re: I wouldn't care if you tore me apart). They could define a sexual or other relationship. These lyrics could describe a first-time lover or a hardened veteran. They just don't give me any solid information. So I'll stop blabbering.

And the music video is really disappointing to me, which is awful trash of me to say. Let me explain. I've seen a few Coldplay videos in my time, and they seem to get less impressive with time. The first I saw was an enormous backwards ramble that probably took months of planning and hours of shooting to get to halfway decent. The second was a colorstravaganza even though the band itself was just . . . sitting. And this . . . this is like a stunt an indie band would pull to go viral. This is like the work of OKGo, and having seen the music video masters do anything similar puts this one in the "pale imitation" category. So comparing it to other music videos, even their own, is meh.
The delivery is solid, but it's lacking a lot of what I really like about these sorts of videos. There's no zing--no life. It's a corporate production (which can be amazing, I'll give you that [see Katy Perry]), and it feels cold. It's not a single take. It's not a labor of love. It's not even technically difficult. It was created by a team of wizards who figured out how to make iPads play on backpacks of instruments and a visual team that either had a shoestring budget or a desire to look like it. It features a band so corporatized that their defining trait is popularity.
But honestly? The thing I liked least about the video was how it made me feel about myself. I saw some grown man hopping down the street, smiling his head off following one of the blandest bands in the world. Do you know what I thought? "That guy looks like a fool." Yeah. That guy, not the fool at the keyboard who literally is so jaded that the sight of someone enjoying something turns him off. Oh, the humanity. Who have I become? I look at something that was actually awesome to see--the world's sexiest vegetarian grinning his head off and a work of art being created--and I think "well, that guy's stupid for enjoying himself." Wrong. Double wrong. But . . . wait. I'm not getting the same experience he is. As good as this song is, I want to be hearing what he's hearing right now. This is crap! And so I look, and I find out that the backpacks were fake. The audio was worse at the live event. Everything is corporate and I was right to hate that guy's stupid smile.
What, support those corporate shills? I wouldn't buy this.

10 comments:

  1. Someone commented on that music video with this:

    "But the law of loving others could not be discovered by reason, because it is unreasonable.”
    ― Leo Tolstoy

    __

    So yeah this reminds me of Bo Burnham's "Repeat Stuff" and also this song depresses me more than any of the ones reviewed yet because of reasons.

    Like pretty much the same reasons you don't like it. But I'm gonna say them anyway. With terrible grammar. (Sorry not sorry.)

    The whole time I watched this video (after reading the above post), I was thinking about the whole "polish a turd, it's still a turd" thing and basically how people sometimes try to take something ordinary and pretend it's amazing-- and why do they do that? Because like, they're desperate for the amazingness they've been promised, because they'd rather believe the lies they're telling themselves than face the truth, because the truth is most of us aren't going to find that kind of love but we've made it into some sort of god, some be-all-end-all and everything we know tells us life is worthless without it, so we pretend we see the extraordinary in the mundane, we value the giant worthless gesture over the everyday courtesy, we pretend every random stranger we meet is or could be "the one."

    The song is soulless and, in my mind, deliberately so. Like whoever wrote it gave up on the extraordinary years ago but doesn't want to face it/admit it. So no, he/she doesn't care whether the object of affection tears him/her apart, because let's face it, anything is better than staring into the yawning blackness and knowing that's all there is.

    ((the above does not reflect my personal beliefs but rather what I feel when I hear the song))

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH. Valid opinions, but I feel like you missed what the song was going for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. Duh.

    But like ... seriously, Bo Burnham. No?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, okay, I want to be fair to this song and these artists.

      The song is way better without the video. Does that help?

      But seriously ... you give your heart to a galaxy and you're gonna get killed, okay? Fo'sho'.

      On the other hand, McConaughey (sp?) seemed to come out all right. On the other, other hand, he loved his daughter better, and that's the thing that saved him.

      Okay, okay so maybe it's more like Dr. Who's "people are bigger on the inside thing," and isn't that life-affirming and lovely and what like seven billion little infinities (ooh, see what I did there? such an idiot).

      Okay, okay, okay, so maybe this song reminds me of cliff jumping, a little. Point to the soulless machine.

      Delete
  4. The music video for Repeat Stuff is very Bo.

    I think the true fear I have of Coldplay is that someday I'll find myself liking them (or Nickleback, for that matter) and I'll realize they were actually just . . . solid quality, the whole time. And I'll suddenly find out that when everyone else was experimenting and trying so hard, they were all just trying to become Coldplay and Nickleback and missing spectacularly, and the reason why C and N are passionless is because they're secure and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a great many problems with Bo's song, but he kinda has a point, though.

    You worried you're not as much of a hipster as you wanna be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is Bo? Don't reference things without actually referencing them!!

      Delete
    2. I'm worried that I might be wrong for being a hipster.

      Delete
  6. ... Bo Burnham's "Repeat Stuff"? From the first comment. Extra long. Easily missable.

    ReplyDelete