Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Sunday, November 30, 2014

My Acolyte Journey: 2014.33

Pills and Potions.
Nicki Minaj. I don't like rap. Not only do I have a problem relating to many rappers' lives, I also dislike their method of delivery. Rap can be extreme. Because it's so raw, it can blow up. But that vulnerability also allows rap to be awful. It can be confused (too many metaphors/tricks/clever lines spoil the story), monotonous (the main and consistent problem with Eminem is that he only yells), and offensive (rack city, b****). But the real trap for this art form is
Weezy Wayne, Hot Boy, I.. be.. thug-gin'/Got.. them.. things.. ten up, keep.. hustlin'
The words don't need to have anything to do with the ones on either side as long as they sound good together. (I googled "Lil Wayne lyrics" and clicked on whatever. This is a selection from the first stanza) At the risk of making Stephen groan, I have been thinking for a few days about what the words to Pills and Potions could mean, and I have to be honest: I got nothing.

I don't think I'm missing anything. She's in love with a guy, there are drugs involved, and superficial friends exhaust her. The chorus isn't linked with the stanzas, and the stanzas don't have internal structure. The only line that brings drugs to the stanzas is
So I pop pills for them
(them being the superficial friends) and it doesn't help me understand why pills and potions mean she still loves she still loves she still loves she still lo-o-oves. The lyrics are meaningless where they try so hard to say something powerful. They don't move me and I can't understand the order. That is--unless the entire song is merely about making music sound good. In that case, congratulations, because this song gets stuck in my head.

The music video is sparse (like the beat), and it's sexual (like Ms. Minaj herself [holy crap Ménage à trois am I brilliant or stupid?]). The visual effects are weird and the 4:3 aspect ratio doesn't do anything for me. In short, the video does nothing to detract from the song, but it certainly doesn't add anything at all. I wish it were a help to me in liking this song, but at the end of it, I have nothing to say. I guess . . . keep your lady bits away? Maybe think about one thing your song can be about, instead of this mix of disparate parts? Possibly . . . take a writing class? Anyway, Minaj, the beat is solid, the sound is good, the mix of sweet and surly song to rap is wonderful, the heart is there, and everything falls apart when I take a second look.
I wouldn't buy this.

8 comments:

  1. Haiku.

    Anyway, what happens if you make the dude Minaj loves in this song into the media/fans/public she markets to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, is the bunny thing in the video somehow connected with the white rabbit?

      Delete
  2. I think the bunny is about as random as her questionable body language and certain points in the video lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked up Alice in Wonderland connected to that music video and found a whole ton of conspiracy theory stuff that included Satanism, the Illuminati, and Nazis.

    What even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't fall into the conspiracy theory thirst trap, there's one for every music video, I promise you lol.

      Delete
    2. I know that, silly. But I still find it interesting. Like, other people saw similar things to what I saw TO DEATH.

      Delete
  4. If I could like this comment thread, I would.

    I don't see the depth in the lyrics. If I knew more about Minaj, perhaps I could, but right now the problem is that (for me) she's as obscure as she can be. The lyrics aren't self explanatory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think she's being obscure in order for it not to be too specific for people to be able to insert themselves into the narrative. However, I do think the song can be confusing because she didn't bare it all in this song. Maybe she'll add more to the story in the album? We'll see. I have strange reasons for connecting with songs and often if they're not specific, its easier to insert myself into the narrative. Also...keep your lady bits away should be the reason for everything...

    ReplyDelete