Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Monday, August 13, 2012

8.13

The Totally Delicious took a bite from the Completely Absurd. The Totally Delicious wasn't always as mean as it is today, but there were always inklings of it around the edges of its personality. Hearken back to the first time you saw it in the royal menagerie and you'll remember the chilling sensation that ran down your spine. At the time, of course, you were young and naïve, and you suspected that your chill was from meeting something so violently alien. Though "alien" betokens something otherworldly, which this certainly isn't. If you'd thought about it, it was your familiarity which bred contempt. But I digress.

Agree with me now; we should have put the Totally Delicious away when we had the chance. We should have taken it into the smallest holding pen we have and merely barred the gate, closed the door, and taped shut the air holes. Let it waste away with no chance of escape. But we didn't. We never do.
Think back to the Personally Unfriendly. Do you remember what you said to me then? "It deserves to live," you said. "We shouldn't be the arbiters of eternity," you said. "Let fate decide," you said. Can you dredge up a memory of Harmful? What about Destructive? Loathsome? These and many more all look like Unspeakably Happy and Tittilated and Noticeably Pleased, but they aren't. Underneath each one lurks a dark heart. Once you realized that, you were quick enough to cloister them, but you visit them often enough that they might as well be free.
No, Totally Delicious is your fault. You need to realize that not all evils are so obvious as to be visible at first pass.
Next time, you should be able to toss out a Delicious, no matter how Total.


5 comments:

  1. . . . My dad likes Red Delicious apples, but I don't. I digress.

    I like this, and it mirrors a horse I beat long past dead with my parents this very evening.

    I really want to know who the speaker is for this, and to whom s/he is speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is about emotions. I don't know that I agree, but it is tremendously fun to picture in your head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is, indeed.

    This is something a class could spend an hour on and unravel piece by piece to awaken "deep thoughts."

    So the speakers are emotions themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I wrote it, the speakers were people. The emotions were emotions as animals/aliens/beasts or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. "Sheep laboring under the misapprehension that they're birds" comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete