Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Monday, December 10, 2012

12.10

People say that migraines are prefigured. Your body can't process the pain and creates phantoms until it figures out the right response. It claws at you: some people thow up. Some people lose hearing. Some people can't see. And then, only after you're afraid that your body has begun shutdown for the final time, the pain breaks on you, the wash of it pulling you back towards the sea of throe and wetting your conscious with pain.

Can you imagine feeling the first time? Can you picture a person for whom there is nothing to which they may liken the experience? Can you write the thoughts of a child who can't see or hear and then, of a sudden, with a crashing, sickening [descriptive noun--like a swirl, but a beautiful word like an umbra] it tears out the middle of your brain?

I have the desire to write it but I can't think of the words. Maybe when the pain goes away, I'll be able to find them.

4 comments:

  1. I hate migraines, especially the ones where you just want to be in bed in the dark and hope to die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am beginning to think there are many kinds of migraine-pain.

    I wish no one had to experience them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I'm disliking mine.
    Do you, too? It seems most of my friends do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the weirdest medical thing that has ever happened to me. Also, every migraine is progressively worse for me, but they happen less frequently. It's like my body saves them up for a rainy day--literally. I get migraines when the weather is overcast.
    I'm glad you slept it off. Try to never have another one. They suck.

    ReplyDelete