Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Thursday, January 28, 2010

1_28

I don't want to start. Are you joking? That's too many words to write, and I have no idea how I'm going to fill them. I don't even want to fill them.
At a certain point, my mind rebels against responsibility. If it's small and achievable, then sure. I'll do that. You want your basket carried to the car? No sweat. If it's big and impossible, you'll see the back of my head as I run away. You want me to write what? No, but thanks.

And now I've got myself all backed up into a corner because I have no idea about what I'm going to write. I don't want to write. Here, let me just watch a youtube video. It was posted by one of my friends, and they'll ask if I saw it. I can't lie to them! I'll forget about it otherwise! Just . . . three minutes. I'll start in three minutes.
Thirty minutes and seven videos later, I realize that I've been slacking off. OKAY I say, this is the time. I'm going to start.

Ooh, an email.
I'll just respond to that.

And someone commented on my status update. And my photo. And Janice's photo. And Greg's wall.
Twenty minutes and a hundred comments later, I realize that I've typed a lot - but not on what I needed to type.

I minimize the browser. I close the music player. I stare at the screen and open my eyes wider and wider and wider and wider until they feel like they're gonna pop out of my skull.
I open my word processor and type the word "The." See? Now that you've started, you're three fourths of the way to completing your paper. Good job.

3 comments:

  1. Hehehe yeah, I know how that is. "Ooh, an email. I'll just respond to that."

    By the way, I just got one of the best emails ever.

    So email has officially lost the hyphen, right? I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost it a long time ago.
    It just looks dorky and nineties with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but dorky is kind of endearing, right? Yeah, that was so ten years ago.
    Yeah.

    ReplyDelete