Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Friday, January 29, 2010

1_29

It slipped my mind.
Why do we say that? Slip? How does that make any sense? Do memories run too fast down the slope of your consciousness and fall right off the edge? Or do they hurl themselves, face-first?

Mine seem of the hurling variety.

"I'm sorry, I didn't remember what your birthday was. I'll mark it on my calendar." And I forget to mark it on my calendar so that I can have a chance to forget to look at it so that I can have a chance to forget that your birthday is coming up.
"I'm sorry, was it our anniversary? Is that important?" It's just a date, anyway. A single unit out of 365 that just happens to have significance to you.
"I'm sorry, was it my turn to walk the dog?" Because he's fat anyway, so I doubt it will make a difference.
"I'm sorry, were you not my wife? I got so caught up in the moment that I forgot."

I guess I should work on that.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, memories try to escape, which is sometimes for the best.

    Anywho, this, to me, is well-written guano. I'm glaring at it with my angry face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guano. I've seen a big pile of it, and the bacteria growing on it was white, so it glowed in the cave. Pretty weird, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, though. And very, very, very slippery. I went cave tubing once and had to walk on sharp cave rocks barefoot. I slipped. Thanks, guano.

    I've heard they coat chips with one of guano's ingredients or something to make the flavor stick to them. Thanks, bats. It's better than birds' nest soup.

    ReplyDelete