Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

12.15c

I will finish Sherlock, I promise. You have my word. I just want to process today. I'm finally out of the woods and into some sunlight and I can sit, shaking on the grass and feel the dirt between my fingers. I can turn to the someone next to me and say "Yes, I was afraid in the woods. Every tree seemed a hiding place for a myriad manias. Every root sought to trip me up. The water called 'drink' but held poison. The only animal was a constant crow, floating overhead." I can dig my toes down into the loam and feel the richness of the soil soak up into me as if I were a tree.
I can close my eyes for the first time since I fell asleep.

3 comments:

  1. Great descriptions! Whenever I read the word loam I get this picture of it being some kind of really foamy dirt-milkshake that earthworms can't get enough of. I think this idea might have started after watching "James and the Giant Peach." In any case, loam is a great word and I'm happy that you used it in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the last line to Chris to make him groan. He groaned.

    I do like loam. I have never actually found any, but I suppose it probably exists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course he did.

    I agree with Ali, though.

    As a kid, I was obsessed with a song called "Show Me the Way to Go Home": "Show me the way to go home / I'm tired and I want to go to bed. / I had a little drink about an hour ago, / And it went straight to my head. / So wherever I wander, / O'er land, or sea, or foam, / You'll hear me singing this song: / Show me the way to go home."

    I know.

    I trust your writing process. You must finish Sherlock when you can write it, and right now you can't. I WILL bug you about it eventually, but it mostly won't mean anything.

    This is just to say (nothing about plums, sadly) that you could be Snow White if you really wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete