Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Thursday, December 2, 2010

12.2

It was then that Sherlock said the three most frightening words that Watson had ever heard.
"I don't know."
"But Sherri . . ."
"Again, my name . . ."
". . . you always know. I have never come across a case in which you did not immediately know the answer. Remember a Study in Scarlet? It turned out to be blood. Remember the Case of the Five Pips? Turned out to be five pips. Remember the Sign of the Four? Turned out to be a four-legged starfish."
"Watson, there's something I have to tell you." Sherlock sighed a bit and the bubbles ruffled his hair wildly. "All those cases . . ."
"All those wonderful cases . . ."
"Yes those. Those were not mysteries. Those were you, running to me, trying to figure out something you couldn't understand."
"But the evidence? The deduction? The wonderful mystery of it all?"
"Is fine. But it is all for you, not for me. This is my first, and greatest case." Sherlock drew himself up to his fullest extension and gesticulated grandly with his bubble pipe. "This," Sherlock paused a bit too long for dramatic effect "is my finest hour."
"My, Sherri, that's grand. Did you make that up on your own?"

6 comments:

  1. "Those were you, running to me, trying to figure out something you couldn't understand."

    These words have weight. In a good way.

    The characterization you have here is just spot-on. Oh my word.

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. Did you know that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having not yet read anything Sherlock Holmes, even I can envision that this is exactly right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying this maybe more than I properly should. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why should there be a limit on how much you can enjoy this?

    I'm just waiting in suspense for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^_^ I am so proud. So very, very proud. ^_^

    B :-)
    B :-)
    B-)

    DEAL WITH IT.


    That was completely necessary and does not at all qualify as a non sequitur.

    ReplyDelete