Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Saturday, September 1, 2012

9.1

"Margaret, what brought us to this point? Was it the grilled cheese I had for lunch, or was it the metaphysical decisions forced upon me in my formative years? Do the decisions that we make have any effect on our lives, or do the contents of our stomachs rule our days?"
"What's your point, John?"
"I feel trivial. Oddly so. I want to figure out if it's reasonable."
"You've kissed me, John. On the mouth. Now you tell me you feel trivial?"
"I suppose so. I hadn't drawn a connection between the two."
"Well?"
"I suppose that was a mistake. I apologize."
"The kiss, or the disregard?"
He took a long, thin whiff of her perfume, because he knew it would be the last time he smelled it.
"Both."
He was right.

2 comments: