Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

4.13

He raised the mug to his fat, stupid face. I wished the mug was unwashed, or filled with poison. But it sparkled clean and the water inside was clear and not green.
"So you see," he started again. I could hear his tongue sounds as he talked. I could always hear his tongue sounds. They cracked out of his civilized speech like a Cinco de Mayo celebration in Tijuana--loud and filled with gunfire and tequila. His tongue was always too close to the top of his mouth--that's why. It got in the way and slapped against his palate and shoved the air back up through his nose and made his voice sound like it had been recorded on a broken tape player. "We have to break up. Are you listening to me?"
This last bit came because I stooped to tie my shoe. And again, his old-radio voice "Are you listening to me?" No, you fat slob. I'm not listening. I'm trying not to cry.

5 comments:

  1. Yep, I remember this. It threw me the first time I read it because I pictured you as "I" even though I knew it wasn't you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I've been experimenting with the first person. It's fun, but not as fun as one might expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to be clear, this is a girl whose head you're in, right?

    Getting in a girl's head is never as fun as it seems. Guys' heads are much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys heads are just all-around more fun? Is this your theory? Because I'm not sure I like it.
    And yeah, it's either a girl or a man. Let's be open-minded here.
    This is probably one of the best articles I have ever read about homosexuality/assumptions. I played his game mod. It was good. GOOD. Like . . . very enjoyable.

    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_234/6952-Not-That-Theres-Anything-Wrong-With-That

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, that's not my theory. Just something I say to provoke your response-- not that you'd agree with my theory, either.

    You surprise me. That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete