Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

10.5

[It seems that I can't write a story that ends with two people happily together unless the story ends in the middle. Sorry, all. Have this instead: http://community.sparknotes.com/2011/09/30/nbk-to-totally-bk-in-one-post-or-less because SparkNotes is inexplicably interesting.]

George slapped the emotion down, but it bounced back up. Slap, slap, slap like he was playing basketball with his subconscious. Slap: "George, she's not right for you," he told himself, "and you'll only end up hurting her." Slap, slap, slap, slap, yes but--slap, she's so--slap, maybe once--slap. So he just looked at her with alternating emotions. George wasn't quite sure why this was such a problem now when it wasn't a problem just a few short years ago, but he was accustomed to it being a problem nonetheless. And it's not like he was alone in this; everybody had the same problem. Why was he saying problem so much? Negative connotations don't develop overnight. Slap slap slap slap. Her arms are so smooth--slap her mind is so empty, her laugh means she's interested--slap interested in leaving, she's smiling a lot--slap you're trying to be funny.
Slap slap slap.
This was going to be another very long day.

[I've noticed I try way too hard to be funny around attractive women and I think I don't want to know why]

7 comments:

  1. The why looks rather obvious from here. Both of them. But like I said, my head is foggy, so that could mean anything.

    I still think there's a way to use that sort of emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there also a way to use a volcano?
    I don't think it's connected to what you think. I've had this problem since freshman year: any story I write ends without happiness, or else it feels incomplete.
    Sadness is the only real emotion, and I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally! Islands.

    Hmm. Here are the first three options that ram into my head:

    1. The world is broken, and so everything has an underlying sadness to it, and that's just how it is.
    2. You're being melodramatic and want things to be sadder than they are because you feel your life is too easy/shallow.
    3. You've experienced deep, deep sadness, and you've forgotten what happy is, if you ever even knew what it was.
    4. Other people's happiness just makes everyone angry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wait. That's four options. Woo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Possible. Seems like none of those answers are right, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, of course not. Thank you for considering them. I hate that all I can do is Montaigne.

    ReplyDelete