Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Saturday, October 8, 2011

10.9

I can't lick the last of the ice cream out of the bottom of the bowl. It's right past the end of my tongue, and even though I'm sticking my whole face into the bowl, I just can't seem to get it. I'm super frustrated and only kind of angry but I decide to cry anyway.
I have a ring of ice cream around my forehead and chin. I bet I look ridiculous.
It feels so good to cry, I start to laugh.

Catharsis.

I'm trying to get the dog off of me, but he's snuffling my face as I lie on the ground. I'm laughing and hoping he doesn't shed in my mouth. He'll get off eventually when he gets bored, but for right now, I'm hugging him and he's smelling me.
I'm covered in fur from my head to my toe. I bet I look ridiculous.
It feels so good to laugh, I start to cry.

Overjoyed.

I tell her I have to move to Illinois, and I'm not sure what that means for us. She starts crying and asks if she can move with me. I say I'm not sure that's a good idea. She says she loves me. I smile and shake my head. She says she loves me again. I'm not sure what I can do about it.
She's bawling and her eyes are bright red. She looks ridiculous.
I feel great.

Schadenfreude.

5 comments:

  1. I really miss my dog. I like the juxtaposition of the last line of part one and the last line of part two.

    I'm not sure how I feel about the last one, except that it reminds me of "I Wish You'd Stay" by Brad Paisley, which in some versions has a rather lovely orchestral introduction despite being country, and that song has so many memories that I think I'm just going to sit here and stare into the past for a bit, if that's all right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody said that something was "cathartic" for them and I didn't feel right about the definition so I went and looked it up. This came from that event several months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about the word choice. That makes sense. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, it's official. I'm twisted. This made me laugh too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good. It was supposed to be kind of funny. I wrote it as a pickmeup.

    ReplyDelete