Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Friday, November 9, 2012

11.9

Somewhere in the long line of parked cars at the drive-in, my love is with another man in the dark of a car with the subtly moving production of the movie screen light on their sun-drenched skin. I cockroach my way through shade and shadow to the still-warm tailpipe of his Oldsmobile and observe the lachrymal condensation weakly clinging to its cylinder, shivering with the movement in the car. I just know they're inside. I just know it.

I lift a peccant and dolorous eye to see the monster with two backs inside the lightly fogged two-ton can of treachery. Schadenfreude demands I stay. Prudence demands I leave.

I compromise.

7 comments:

  1. I like the last line! I like something I wrote and it's not inspired by a woman!
    The odds were so low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the description. Your choice of words are just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's written well. You already knew that.

    How does one compromise between going and staying?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering that. Please, do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The inverse would be much more pleasant, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh. That makes sense, and that is also applicable to more than just the situation in this piece.

    ReplyDelete