Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Friday, November 30, 2012

11.30

Since when have you thrown away bottles?
Oh, you know. A while now.
You never used to!
Chane is how we know we're alive.
That's bull.
Maybe, but maybe not. Perhaps there's so much truth--
It's bull. What happened?
I haven't reason to recycle, now.
Not since she left?
Not since she left. Everything is new, now. Give me some time and I'll replace everything in the house.
Ok. I'll miss her.
I plan on taking all our plastic bags and burning them on her lawn. That would get her attention.
It certainly would. Please don't. The environment can't handle too many more of your breakups.

6 comments:

  1. I felt bad about trashing bottles tonight. Anyway.

    The desire to burn everything is one I understand, but I have to agree with the second speaker. It is an incredibly selfish thing to do.

    Lack of information has destroyed many things worth keeping. This is a thought I feel I should ponder for a while.

    Also, I am a very dramatic person, and I wonder whether that's a bad thing. Chaotic neutral, perhaps?

    Anyway, this is funny and sad, and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think there's something to be said for "change is how we know we're alive."

    It is, to me, like how pain teaches us to appreciate the times when we feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The double grief of a lost bliss is to recall its happy hour in pain," by Dante. Canto V of the Inferno.

    I don't know. It's more about how I have changed in reaction to people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dante did know a few things. It's incomplete, though. At least, I hope it is.

    Do you perceive them as good changes? I can't tell.

    I think you have grown wise in your interactions. I think I have made what I have to say on that point rather meaningless, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the feeling that the last speaker in the piece has grown from being the person he is talking to into being the person he is now.

    But maybe I'm wrong about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashlee, I like that idea and though I cannot say from whence it came, I believe it now to be true.

    ReplyDelete