Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Friday, February 11, 2011

2.11b

Prompt: What would you do to make the world a little less screwed up?

For the lack of a nail, the shoe was lost.
His short-term plan was to wear a different color every day. Monday was red. Tuesday was orange. Wednesday was yellow, and so forth. He spent a small fortune on clothing that fit his needs. Soon, he assembled sets of clothing that fit his purposes. He started finally one Sunday with his purple. His wife rolled her eyes at him and went back to her magazine. He walked boldly down the street to the corner to buy life savers, eat all the purples, and give the rest away. On Monday, his friends at work gave his red suit a few weird stares, and then settled in for the long haul. He bought skittles, ate all the reds, and gave the rest away. Finally on Friday, his boss called him into his office.
He settled his blue into a chair. "Dan, what's happening?"
"I'm changing the world. Would you like a starburst? I have red, yellow, and green left."
There was silence for a few minutes, and then his boss stood up and motioned to the door of the office. As Dan opened the door, his boss asked "This won't change your work performance" but it was more like a statement, not a question.
"Of course."
Three weeks of color and it stopped being a novelty. His coworkers stopped sending pictures to their friends and telling their friends.
Three months of color and it stopped being interesting to them.
Every day he bought candy, ate all of the color he was wearing, and gave the rest away.

One day, he was picking up his daughter at school and one particularly popular 13-year old girl approached him. "Hey, Melissa's dad--why do you do this?"
"I'm changing the world. Would you like the rest of my jellybeans? I'm afraid I ate all the indigo."
She stood for a while, and said nothing. When she left, she decided to ignore Melissa for a while.

Thirty years later, no one cared. He was just the kook down the street. Finally, his daughter asked him why he dressed monochromatically every day. "Daddy, why?"
"I'm changing the world. Would you like a gummy bear?"
She paused, like everyone else always did. But she kept going, because she knew him.
"How?"
"I'm glad you asked." He smiled. "I dress like this because it's a daily reminder to be happy. Life is too short to spend it wearing black. If I dress in bright colors every day and share my joy with everyone I meet, I'm sure to change somebody's life."
She had never thought about her father as wise before.

She went back to the hospital where she worked with seven pairs of new, bright-colored scrubs. On Monday, she wore red. On Tuesday, she wore orange. On Wednesday, she wore yellow, and so forth. Soon, the nurses were monochromatic every day of the week. The hospital got on the news. Other people started picking up the habit. After a few years, government officials' ties, school teachers' shirts, preteens' fingernails, and truck drivers' hats were all color-coordinated. And everybody had a reminder to be happy.

For the lack of a nail, the shoe was lost,
for the lack of a shoe, the horse was lost,
for the lack of the horse, the rider was lost,
for the lack of the rider, the charge was lost,
for the lack of the charge, the battle was lost,
for the lack of the battle, the war was lost,
for the lack of the war, the kingdom was lost,
and all for the lack of a nail.

19 comments:

  1. Your turn. How would you make the world less screwed up?
    Because I got 3, 2, and 3 words and I'm really interested in what you guys have to say.

    But thank you also for your 3, 2, and 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I'd build a place where abused, lost, or just plain homeless animals (all sorts) could be cared for, and I'd brin the abused, lost, or just plain homeless people of the world to that place and help them help each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. Let me think on that.

    Actually, no. I don't need to think. I know what my dream is. I know my goal. I want to grow FLAG Camp, back to the way it was, and more. To train up leaders who will raise up more leaders--"an army of youth, rightly trained."

    That's what, not how . . . (maybe I do need a minute) . . . For now, I only know how to continue working with FLAG Camp, trying to find leaders for today and younger people to train for tomorrow. I only know how to keep camp alive as best as I am able--to keep it running. I only know how to try to be the best leader I know how to be--to try to be as Christlike as possible.

    FLAG Camp could turn the world upside down. It's just figuring out how to raise up leaders . . . that is where we've failed.

    FLAG Camp--that's my mission.

    --

    So, Robby, are you going to start dressing monochromaticly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have the pants for it.
    I could technically do all tan and all blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the FLAG Camp thing does grow back.

    Does it HAVE to be monochromatic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this post! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I would make this world less screwed up?

    Hmm. Good question. Part of it is trying to do what God wants me to for His kingdom. You know, living a sermon, imperfectly as it may be.

    But for the more immediate, I try to tell the good things I think about people to them. If I think it while I'm in their presence, I try to tell it to them. When I first started that, people looked at me weird and said, "What do you want?" And all I could say (since it was the truth) was, "I just wanted to tell you that I think that about you."

    I think it's a commentary on society when people automatically think that a person is trying to get something from them if they say compliments. I don't like it, and it should change, because people need to know the good things about themselves. I'm a words of affirmation person, I know this, and that's how I try to live love to other people as well. I like seeing how people react to knowing that I'm not trying to get anything from them and that I actually do think what I'm telling them. It's a good feeling.

    Long enough for you, R.W.?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good. I like it, Ashlee. And Brooke. GOOD PLANS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, thanks, Ashlee.

    You guys all have great plans for changing the world. Let's do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please, if you know anyone interested in a job at summer camp, let me know. FLAG Camp is quite the experience, and really does change lives--including your own. I'm looking for good workers for next summer--especially workers 21 or older. It is a summer of mission work, reaching the kids I think need to be reached the most--the kids here at home. (And it pays, so added bonus.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will keep my eye out, but no promises.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At some point, you might want to put your eye back, because the pudding and pie in your eye is lovely, but the keeping the eye out is . . . troubling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a difficult question. I think my mere existence makes the world significantly MORE screwed up lol. but in all seriousness, I tend to use the color strategy, without the colors. I figure, if I'm cheerful, then those around me can be cheerful, and those around them can be cheerful.....you get the idea. I don't think you have to do something big to do something important.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kyle, you butt. You have SEEN it's a wonderful life. YOU KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION.
    Your existence does not screw up the world.

    ReplyDelete