Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2.8

There's just something about a man's voice that . . . trumps a woman's voice. I'm sorry, ladies. I wish it weren't so for my sake, but at least you all benefit too.

Exhibit A: @ 15 seconds in to 30 seconds
Gordon Bietz flows into Lisa Diller into Jan Haluska. Now, I'm not saying that I think Dr. Diller is any less capable or any less worthy than the other two. As a matter of fact, I think she would reconsider the A she gave me in World Civ if I did say that. What I'm saying is that it's a startling contrast between two male voices, both of which have command and presence, and Diller's thin contralto. There's more of all of them in there, but that's the best section.

Exhibit B: All of it
Peter Gregory is asian. Very. And when he got up to speak he said "Hello. My name is . . . Peter Gregory." And there was silence for as long as it takes to shiver and the entire audience went "what?" under their breath. It was fantastic. He held us enraptured just because of his voice, when no one else at "Intents" could do it. Not even Dr. Tilstra or Dr. King can claim that honor.

Exhibit C: It's very loud
There is nothing inherently funny about Curtis and I singing. We're both acceptable. We're in I Cantori. But we sound like children or prepubescent girls. It's funny because we sound like men most of the time.

Exhibit D: The Venture Brothers
Man who sounds like woman? Woman who sounds like man? Why? It's funny, that's why. And Dr. Girlfriend is more competent than the Monarch. I'm not saying it's because of her voice, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Exhibit E: Richard of CSFPQ Breaking News
I can go into super tryhard mode and the results are plain to see. Even though I'm saying ridiculous things, I sound half-competent.

Exhibits F-Z: Every newscaster to ever live and not be Katie Couric. And Prairie Home Companion.

This ^ isn't creative, but it certainly unlocks a bit of humanity. How do we, as writers in a non-audio medium, tap into this idea?

Aubrey is five and thinks like a five-year old. "Daddy is home, thank God. Mommy always makes me clean things and set the table until Daddy gets home. When he's home, I can always get Mommy to let me play with him instead of doing work." Daddy is 30 and thinks like a 30-year old. It's better that Aubrey know how to read than that she play. So he reads her books. "Do you like Green Eggs and Ham?" "I do not like them, Sam-I-Am. I do not like Green Eggs and Ham." She sits on his lap and forgets to concentrate on the book. She likes the feel of his rumble on her back.

19 comments:

  1. Um, yes. I very much prefer guys' voices, especially when I'm listening to people sing. You know why? Because then I can actually hear what the words are instead of just high-pitches. Supposedly (in high school, the one year I was in choir) I'm a low second alto. I'm not even sure what that means. Anyway, I prefer guys' voices, for sure. (Though I don't think Dr. Diller's voice is bad, however.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not want to fall asleep to Diller's voice. (At least not at night--maybe at 3 in the afternoon . . .)

    I love sitting between you and Curtis in church or hymn sing. If the songs are right, the pew rumbles. (grins)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree. Falling asleep to Diller's voice would be, for me, an impossibility. I'd be listening intently for her to use words like "modernity," "feminism" or "nationalism."

    Did I say that I like guys' voices?

    Erm, I think I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen Fry's voice. I rest my case. It's like honey dripping off of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could say something here . . . but . . . I just can't.

    This is creative, Robby. It doesn't have to be fiction to be creative. Does it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe? I don't know. I'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again with the fluid definitions . . .

    But. Byrd and Lale have this big thing for creative nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nonfiction should be creative. I am a strong believer that it doesn't have to be fiction to be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yeah, because we've read more than enough non-fiction that's not creative. Ugh. Almost worse than non-creative fiction. ('Cause who knows what Melville was thinking? Yes, I've read all of his encyclopedia on whales.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, come now. Melville's stuff was creative. "That whale is TAUNTING me!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah goodness. I suppose nonfiction CAN be creative. I just think that a straight exposition of facts isn't AS creative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Creatively dry. When it was actual narrative, it was pretty good. Encyclopedia of whales, not so much. It just went on and on...that's why I put it down in November 2008 and picked it up again in March 2009 before leaving Ebeye and then didn't finish it until the end of Fall '09. Moby Dick deserves to be famous, but I am not sure if it's due to the encyclopedic and ranty parts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, perhaps due to the actual good parts? Like, shrunken heads and gold coins on mastheads and a gripping revenge story about a man and a love/hate relationship with an albino whale?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who said anything about "straight" or "exposition"?

    Hey, whoever said "creative" meant "wet"?

    What's more creative than blending a ridiculously awesome thing with a textbook? Such a contrast!

    True love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect.

    "Get back, witch!" "I'm not a witch, I'm your wife. And after what you just said, I'm not sure I wanna be that anymore!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. :-)

    "Mawwaige, that bwessed awwangement;
    the dweam within a dweam . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  17. ^^That from someone who was unmarried.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just stumbled across this in an accidental search I just made that somehow brought me to everything there is on Haluska.

    I also stumbled across this:

    http://rjamesyork.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html

    I find that interesting.

    ReplyDelete