Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

2.22

Newlyweds have a lot of change and accommodation to do. To re-learn another person is difficult at best.
She wanted him to look professional, so they were going to buy a suit. He tried a few on, and then she found the one. It was bold. It was young. It was new. It fit him to a tee, and she loved it. Then she asked that dreaded question: "What do you think?"
He could tell that she loved it on him and she loved him. The next few words would determine his future relationship with the suit, himself, and his wife.
So he told the truth.

"I feel like an organ grinder's monkey." She blinked once or twice and then paused.
"Okay. We'll find another one."
He inhaled.



He could have told her that he loved the suit, and they would have bought it. It would have hung in his closet for years and he might have worn it twice. Three times, at the most. But instead, he told her the truth, and didn't have to buy a suit he didn't like.
But more importantly, if he says something, she knows it. Not in the normal sense like "Well I suppose I can reason my way through to that conclusion" but in a sense wherin she doesn't have to think about it. She knows he won't lie.

And that's worth more than any suit.

15 comments:

  1. This is easily my favorite Haluska story. I do this because I think it's worth something important to always tell the truth. But I want my wife/girlfriend to do it with me too. That will be harder to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I knew I'd heard this story somewhere. Way to spread the Haluska creed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. :-)

    You and Haluska . . . like Elphaba and the Wizard.

    Captcha says: "pookieish"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a Haluska story, and vaguely familiar. I've probably heard it. But it's a good story. It's that whole "Love is a choice" thing, which is true, in my opinion.

    Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody. Janelle, you'll have to explain that Wicked statement.

    I do so love Haluska's story. I want my wife to give me the same unconditional honesty. I haven't ever had it and I crave it so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think everyone wants that unconditional honesty on some level. I do, for sure.

    And, Robby, I think you're on the right track by being that honest. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, that's where I've heard the story before. Robby, it suits you. (Take that as you wish.)

    And I hope you never settle for anything less than unconditional honesty. (But I don't think you will.)

    As for me, I do my best to be utterly honest--especially in this circle. And I think over the past couple of years I have progressed quite well--I will state my opinion when asked. Now I'm just working on honesty when I have not been asked--shall we call it spontaneous honesty?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the whole unconditional honesty is difficult to put into practice. Worthwhile, though. So . . . keep craving?

    As for "Wicked": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwETtH_wVXE&feature=related

    Haluska is the wizard.

    Yes, it IS totally nuts and makes no sense except in the travesty I call my brain. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this musical in St. Louis and the lady I saw play Elphaba was at least 2x as good as that one, sorry. That lady PRESSES EACH NOTE LIKE IT WILL BE HER LAST.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Which is funny, because the lady in the video is the one who first had the role.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ROBBY I NEVER SAID THE WOMAN IN THE VIDEO WAS PERFECT. I actually didn't really adore her performance. BUT THE POINT HAS STILL BEEN MADE.

    Congratulations on actually getting to see this thing in person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed it way too much. I think mom did it for me, specifically. So it was awesome and yes x2.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is wonderful. :-)

    I am so very trying not to be jealous right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ^^This. I believe in being honest > telling someone what they want to hear.

    ReplyDelete