Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

2.2b

Sherlock slid his hand along his jaw, as if to rest his head on his arm. (Janelle shut up.) This was, of course, a useless gesture as he was underwater. Watson just stared at him.
"Sherri."
Silence, but for the distant wooshing of seaweed.
"Sherri, you've been staring at this same thing. Seriously. Have you even deduced anything extra from it?"
"Watson."
Watson's eyestalks lifted perhaps a quarter of a centimeter more and he stood stalk still. If he shocked Sherlock by responding, the merman might go back into an intense concentration coma.
"Watson."
" . . . sherri?"
"Well don't make all that fuss about it. I think I have an idea. I have put a lot of thought into it, and I assume that this large thing is actually a vessel out of its element."
Watson just sat frozen but for one eyestalk which twitched a bit.
"I think, nay, know, that this mysterious object is, in fact, for riding above the water."
"Sherlock."
"Watson."
"Sherlock. You've been silent for three weeks. I was beginning to assume you were dead or that I had dreamed you all along."
"Preposterous."
"Oh, good. He's back."
"Have you been listening to any of the words I have been saying?"
Watson dropped an eyestalk in a deprecating fashion. "Sherri, you have been comatose. I am in a bit of shock. You'll have to repeat it."
"This is a vessel for riding on top of the water."
Watson's eyestalk took up the twitch again.
"I know what you're thinking. How can something go on top of the water? There's nothing up there! But that's just it. This object can't be anything else. It is the least hydrodynamic shape--this large flat portion would merely create excess drag. There must be different water on top of the water, that's less . . . "
"Watery?" Watson suggested.
"Precisely."
"Preposterous."
"Proponent."
"What?" Watson demanded.
"I'm not sure I understand the rules to that game. You'll have to explain sometime."
Watson carapaceclawed. [Which is a crab facepalm. Look it up.]

8 comments:

  1. ROBBY. THIS IS AOIAJFLKCBXIOSBCVHIOEWJKNLAGKLNADGKLNADLK. ASLKBDLKNCV LKASDGLKNAB, ZVXCOLASDVLKNBOK. DSVKOJADVLKADLKLMV. SDOADLKGJMV.

    THERE ARE TOO MANY THINGS TO ADORE ABOUT THIS. AN INTENSE CONCENTRATION COMA. OH MY WORD. CARAPACECLAWED. LESS WATERY. GAME. PRECISELY PREPOSTEROUS PROPONENT.

    OH MY WORD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you much. For lovely fic . . . And I'll take it more, like, as a symbol of the friendship between you, me, and your tolerance . . . ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like how you got the three weeks of silence in there as well. Very clever.

    Also, I literally LOL'ed at carapaceclawed. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherlock's power of deduction is flawless!

    (So, how deep do Sherlock and Watson live? And how far from shore?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I DO NOT KNOW
    It's exciting, though, trying to figure it out.
    I'm assuming that they don't live very deep, as they know an octopus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THEY KNOW AN OCTOPUS. WHAT IS LESTRADE?

    I cannot tell you how much I adore this story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure about Lestrade. I don't have a place for him in the story yet but I assume he will come up.

    The octopus was in one of their cases in issue 3, I believe?

    ReplyDelete