Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Monday, March 29, 2010

3.29c

He pinned the medal to my shoulder.
My mother was crying because her little boy was everything she wanted him to be. My father was crying because he was so proud of his son. My brother was smiling because he knew I was happy. My sergeant was crying because I had saved his life.
I was crying

because
I didn't feel different
and
I didn't want to live under the shadow of my past accomplishments
and
I didn't want people to think differently of me
and
I didn't want to remember the war

anymore.

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant for more reasons than one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.
    I bet it would make somebody cry. Actually, I bet it would make Haluska cry.
    I've always believed that I wouldn't enjoy getting the Congressional Medal of Honor because of these reasons. War is hell: why would I want to celebrate a part of it in which I did extremely well? Desmond Doss is the only excusable CMH recipient, because he was COUNTERACTING hell, rather than participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of things make Haluska cry. Sometimes I think seeing me makes him cry.

    I agree that Doss deserved it, but whether he was the only one... meh.

    I do try to avoid getting awards.

    Your reasons make sense to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. Nothing wrong with that.

    I'm firmly convinced that being good at war is not a good thing.

    Good for you?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well there was Joshua, and stuff.

    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wrote a poem. What is up with that? Plus, it's a good poem. THE WORLD IS ENDING.

    ReplyDelete