Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Saturday, March 6, 2010

3.6

3.4, for those of you at home. I'm only writing one tonight. I'll catch up later.

I run a lot.
Whenever I do, my metabolism kicks down and starts making energy to match my pace. My cells' respiration triples and my breathing deepens. Everything slams into high gear. I'm like a well-oiled machine. But there's one cog that kicks.
Right in that space before sweat and after heat there is a moment of uncontrollable breakdown. Everything in my body is producing and burning energy at a ludicrous rate, but there's no cooling. There is no evaporation of water, just radiation of heat. It is at that moment that I am at my most uncomfortable: heat with no recourse.

Heat with no recourse: I feel like people are slowly filling my back with needles.

When I was small, I believed that I was having an allergic reaction. I tried rubbing my back on the ground. I tried running into the house. I tried scratching on trees. I tried hyperventilating. I used to believe that the sun was the cure: I would take off my shirt and expose my back and everything would be O.K. in a few.

1 comment: