Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

3.31a

His timing was all wrong. "No. No, no no no no why now?" That was all he said for about thirty seconds after he heard the news. Thirty full seconds of "No no no no" because the situation deserved it. Three months before, he had been in dire straits. He had no job, no hope, no money, and no chance of getting one. He had interviewed at every business he could find.
"I'm sorry, we're just not hiring right now. We'll call you if anything changes."
It was like these jobs were calling each other. They had agreed on a specific line that they would deliver each time.
At BestBuy, Target, and Outback Steakhouse: "I'm sorry, we're just not hiring right now. We'll call you if anything changes."
At Nordstrom's, P.F. Chang's, and Banana Republic: "I'm sorry, we're just not hiring right now. We'll call you if anything changes."

He was destitute and depressed.

Right before the phone company shut off his line, he got a call from Little Snippy's, a flea market. He went to work with his head high and his step light. He had a job. He did well, laughed with customers, and encouraged repeat business. His boss thought he was thoughtful and charming. He was given more shifts by the end of the day. Things were looking up.
When he got home, he had forty seven messages on his machine.
"We're sorry for the delay, but we would be delighted to hire you now."
"We're sorry for the delay, but we would be delighted to hire you now."
"We're sorry for the delay, but we would be delighted to hire you now."
"We're sorry for the delay, but we would be delighted to hire you now."
He stopped listening. Pasta Barn, J.C. Penny's, Barnes and Noble, Craft Cutlery, Rue 21, Macy's, Radio Shack, and Pet Supply. The Post Office, Repp Big and Tall, the museum, and Toys'R'Us.

Every
single
one.

16 comments:

  1. Tell me this didn't actually happen to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not with jobs. But with something else, kind of. Yay, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yay, no?" Depends on what that something is . . . but if it was something you were wanting . . . then, sure, yay! Have fun making the decision!

    I like this though. It's hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. I can see correlations in this.

    This makes me happy and also sad, and I suppose that deserves at the very least a "Good job" and probably even a "Brilliant."

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, thanks, guys.

    It was something I'm wanting, but I didn't want as much as I got.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am curious, but it may not be my place to ask . . . I wish you all the wisdom in choosing.

    So, did stick with the flea market, or move to a more "prestigious" job?

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Also, side-SIDE note, I just accidentally scrolled down to the bottom of your page and landed in your licensing comments. Considering our class period on copyrights today, I found it amusing.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I did the licencing today. I don't know why I didn't think to do it before. The second thing Curtis does when making a website is licence it with Creative Commons. So . . .

    Um. Hm.
    I wasn't really writing for anything more than the idea of everything came back all at once. But, if I had to say how I chose . . .
    Yes. I stayed with the Flea Market. I guess. I mean, nothing's solid yet, but I like it there and the work is fun and the boss is kind. I'm not doing it for the pay anyway.

    If we're carrying this metaphor to extremes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the licensing, and I really love the wording. :-)

    Yeah, it did seem like you stayed with Flea Market. I'm thinking that's a good thing? At least, for now? At least you're making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. . . . I alternately hope you know what I'm talking about and hope that you will never know.

    I didn't actually think about the Flea Market being what it is; this post is more about the choice than it is about what I chose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I am doing my best not to speculate or to read into it.

    And the choice is a good part to focus on. And I'm going to say the most important part because the act of deciding lead to the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "This post is more about the choice than it is about what I chose."

    This made me think. And then I read what Brooke said, and it made me think more.

    I think there's something praiseworthy and . . . intellectually honest . . . in actually making a choice. And sticking to it. And acting on it.

    I think the people who actually made a choice-- even if it's the wrong one-- and acted on it deliberately and consistently are better off than the people who waffle back and forth and never make a choice at all (being the waffling kind, I especially admire decision-makers, although I do love a good waffle).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still trying to piece together what I'm going to do. Nothing is technically set in stone . . . just . . . choices, you know? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can understand that. I also have tremendous faith in you and your decision-making process. Also, I can't seem to post this comment without adding this: "And your ears will hear a word behind you, saying, This is the way; walk in it, when you turn to the right hand and when you turn to the left" (Is. 30:21).

    I think it's interesting that the voice sounds when you turn and not before. Leap of faith, anyone?

    I never mean to get so preachy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh, commonplace, non-unique jobs. So glad you stuck with the flea market. Figuratively speaking, of course. The piece amused me, although those kinds of timing issues are suuuper annoying when they happen to you...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is now one of my favorite pieces of writing. I don't know why. It just resonates in my head like a big 'ol tuning fork.

    ReplyDelete