Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Monday, March 7, 2011

3.7

Before.
The sound of the gun crashed into him like being slapped by a wave--the sort of impact that shudders through the entire body but doesn't do anything more than shake feet and limbs. He clenched his eyes tighter and vomited between his feet.
"Sick." The voice sounded like a hissing snake and felt in his soul like the smell of a dog two days dead.
"What do we do with this one?"
"Leave him. He can look at her corpse until he starves for all I care."
His eyes were still shut to all light, to all possibility of a world outside his head. If he didn't open them, it was possible that the outside was all an illusion, that his ears were playing a trick on him. He wouldn't open his eyes until his ears told him the truth he wanted.
The lie of his ears told him that the thugs were packing up their things and opening doors and slamming them. The lie of his ears told him that they were driving away, leaving him here with Deception. He shuddered as well as he could under the ropes. The room felt cold and full. The van peeled out and silence settled on the house, Deception continuing its perilous course in his brain.
The silence was full. It stuffed his ears and pressed on him and took all the air. He found that he was taking short, fast, raspy breaths, so he tried to calm down. Slowly, he gained mastery of his breathing. After a long time full of the Lie of silence, he dared to hold his breath. The space that his breath used to take was filled with Nothing, and Nothing met his ears.
Until
plink

plick

splick

Slow drops, like the heartbeat of a dying star. He gasped and drove the Silence back. When he got his breath back he held and

splack

plack

plick

slow. He gasped again. The Lie was becoming more real every second. He felt like vomiting again, but he didn't close his eyes. He thought of the happy times they had: swimming in the creek near her house and finding a cowskull and how she had shrieked when he tossed it to her. Running through traffic in the pouring rain to get to their restaurant for their reservation, and stopping to catch her as she fell, pulling her up, and kissing her as taxis honked. The lists of baby names that she forbode: Cyril. Agnes. Mathilda. Louis. Byron. Penelope. Tracy. Asking her to marry him by writing it on her bedroom roof in glow-in-the-dark stars. Their honeymoon trapped in Arizona by bad weather at their destination, pretending instead that they were the first humans on Mars while running around in the desert like idiots. Learning to paint and dance and live with her. Supporting her when she ran for mayor. Smiling like an idiot when she came in from the storm on election night and being the first to tell her that she won.
He tried to remember the good times, the Truth, and he could almost hear her breathing next to him--the light, shallow breathing of early morning right before the alarm goes off. He tried to remember the Truth to block out the Lie. And Right and Wrong did battle in his head.

plick

plack

"I will never, ever name my child Marabel. Why? Because I knew a Marabel in college, and I never liked her!"

splack

plack

"I put in my name to the committee this afternoon. Ugh, you know that's not how it works. Besides, I have to win before you can be first lady. Haha, no."

plickter

plac

"It's me. I saw the stars. I do. I will. Yes, a million times."

And he waited.
And waited.
The pause was so great that the Silence died and greyed and shuddered and turned into dust and spread over him and the floor and everything and time shook and the earth slowed and everything stopped for him as he waited to hear the next drop.

6 comments:

  1. That's really long. But that's what I had in my heart. GOSH am I glad that's out. Now you guys can have a bit of it and eat parts of it and because you have less you can filter out the dark and instead glow inside and so my dark will turn into your light and everyone will be like lightning bugs.

    When you asked for more, this is what I had.
    I may do a different history. One from her, one that's different. One that's happy.
    But right now, I'm fresh out of bright and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Robby. Very powerful. You made my eyes fill with water, which, although becoming easier, is still a very hard thing to do.

    So now I'm a lightning bug?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's me. I saw the stars. I do. I will. Yes, a million times."


    ^This.

    All of this was lovely and heart-wrenching. I was super hyper earlier and could barely breathe for excitement and now my heart is still and at peace (well, you know, except for the tearing). I think your story had something to do with it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That answer is what I want. I've gotten "I guess" and "okay." Why am I unable to inspire excitement in women? Haha, I guess I shouldn't complain; I have had relationships. Some people haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude, I was blown away by this. I can't even describe how awesome this is....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol well . . . I've had relationships-- just . . . different ones. Complicated ones. Okay, fine, relationship. (Oh, and let's not forget the fictional characters and actors who always inexplicably fall for someone else.) :-S

    You are able to inspire excitement in women. You're just looking at the wrong women. (Although that question is one I've been asking myself for years regarding men, so . . . but seriously, dude . . . your situation is vastly different.)

    ReplyDelete