Dance in the Full Moon

O, the Frailty of Memory

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

3.9

[I met Lyssa today. So not a creeper anymore. Also, I should be doing homework or something else productive. Instead, you guys get this.]

[Second side note: I got a clock from the education department to remind me to be a good student, and now I can hear time passing. I hate it, so I play music. Practical upshot of the whole debacle: more music in the room.].

There is something about high schoolers that is altogether invigorating. The guys haven't yet learned to be timid around girls. The girls haven't yet learned how to talk to boys. The social machinations are incredibly disturbing, and yet so new and foreign as to almost be pleasing. They don't say "How was your day?" "Oh, fine, you know." "Oh, yes. Have a great day!" "Thanks, you too!" They talk about the things they enjoy, and they shun topics and people they don't like. Life in high school is entirely too short to waste being polite.

American society has lost a lot of momentum due to our educational system. In the Little House on the Prairie series, Laura grows up quickly to be a pillar in the blowing grass. The same goes for Antonia in My Antonia. Other books like these and Call of the Wild and Huck Finn tell of young people making adult decisions in their teens, if not earlier. Back then, people didn't have years to slowly evolve and grow and decide who they are. In grade school, all the students get to act like kids. In high school, the students get to try out their new adult bodies with kid minds. In college, they have to try their new adult minds to go with their bodies. And finally, when they graduate, they get to decide whether or not they're done germinating, or if they should go to grad school.

This is a moratorium.
This is a pause.
This is a hesitation.
This is a sacrilege.

And yet it is so interesting to watch.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on meeting Lyssa!

    This is thoughtful, and I like it.

    Do you think it's good to grow up slowly? I mean, Adam and Eve were born adults (if that makes any sense).

    A sacrilege, huh? Isn't it funny how kids grow up faster now than they used to but also slower? Like-- faster in all the wrong ways.

    So . . . what do we do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do we do?
    Make sure they grow up in God and he'll do the rest. We're only mortals, so we can only do our best.
    That rhymed, but it didn't mean to.

    "I'm a poet, and I wasn't aware of it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, I love the ending line. well done. Also, you have inadvertantly insulted me lol. I have also not yet learned to be timid around girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Thanks for not saying "didn't know it."

    You do have greater faith than I, I think.

    Lol Kyle, you don't have to be timid. Just . . . considerate. This you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's okay. It's just the normal thing. But for it to be "normal," there has to be an abnormal. You are abnormal and it is okay.
    OKAY
    STOPIT
    JUST DON'T BE TIMID
    BE YOURSELF

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You are abnormal and it is okay."

    ^This.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am purportedly a poet, though I had not previously been privileged with that perception.

    I was trying my hardest to make it less rhyming and ended up alliterating. I guess I'm still a poet.

    And Kyle, you ARE Flynn Rider. Just sing like him and you'll get the girl. (I hope that doesn't crush your hopes)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! You just can't get away from poetry! It's like math--everywhere and beautiful!

    (Also, alliteration is about a billion times better than rhyme. So it looks like you're moving up in the world.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Remember that time when mead was flowing . . . "

    I memorized Wiglaf's speech in Survey of British Literature and made Haluska cry when I recited it. I wish I knew whether he cried because it was bad or because it was good or because that's just what he does sometimes.

    Cool story, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Probably because it brought him to a better (?) place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in awe, Janelle. Do you still remember it? Will you recite it to me?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd have to look it up and brush it up a bit, I think. The only thing I recite a great deal (obsessively) is the first chorus from Henry V. I have other things memorized (I memorize stuff a lot because boredom?), but I don't recite them enough to keep them perfect.

    But sure! :-)

    Don't be in awe, though. It's really not as awesome as it sounds, 'cause it sounds weird when a girl recites it. It's supposed to be all manly and stuff.

    ReplyDelete